2020 DVD-rom edition
Encyclopedia of Krautrock, Kosmische Musik, & other progressive, experimental & electronic musics from Germany
by Steve Freeman & Alan Freeman.
IMPORTANT IMFORMATION ABOUT THE DOWNLOAD
The download will be supplied as a zip file link in an email.
This download is hosted via my Google Drive account. So, you will receive notification of the link from Google and also a courtesy back-up link from myself to your email address that came with the payment. That email address will also be your access to the download. If you wish to use a different email address to download, either add the information when you make the payment, or request access later. Naturally, the simplest download is when the email used for PayPal is also your gmail account.
Physical rom, rear cover notes: The rise of experimental music in (West) Germany since the 1960s is unrivalled, and its influence can be found in nearly all forms of modern music. This fertile scene, of which the core is commonly known as Krautrock, bridged psychedelia, new forms of fusion, ethnic/world-music, kosmische musik, electronic music, etc., and is full of surprises.
A veritable cornucopia of delights, almost every groundbreaking new form of music flourished in Germany, and it didn't stop with the 1970s.
In this new DVD-rom edition we explore the history and all the bands and artists that made this happen.
All completely revised, and with tons of new sections and features, it’s an engrossing read.
1 x 1.6 GB html rom as zip file download
Works just like an enormous web site.
Portable design, requires no installation.
Will run on any system with a DVD drive and html browser.
Basic rom statistics
pages: 11450 files (93396 KB) 91.2 MB
images: 31741 files (847925 KB) 828.05 MB
audio/video: 117 files (651520 KB) 636.25 MB
total: (1644551 KB) 1606 MB
Auricle label: 2:45:52 / 165:52
Bonus Audion 0-10 rom: 1:17:22 / 77:22
Cosmic Egg Label: 1:58:18 / 118:18
Interviews: 1:29:25 / 89:25
Music: 4:35:47 / 275:47
Late additions: 1:32:03 / 92:03
total: 14:09:42 / 849:42
main section entries
The Krautrock Scene 
Other bands & soloists 
Cuckoos & Scrambled Eggs 
Beat & Historical [87*]
Classical & Avant-Garde 
Folk, Traditional, Ethnic [101*]
Jazz & Fusions [333*]
Neo-Prog, 80s Rock [104*]
Neue Deutsche Welle [149*]
Retro, Neo-Psych, etc. [87*]
Sonic Art & Noise [82*]
Synth, New-Age, Instrumental [314*]
That's 2,494 main entries!
note: these are approximate counts from 6 months before completion.
* totals omit duplicates from other sections
IMPORTANT THINGS YOU SHOULD KNOW BEFORE BUYING...
1. This rom was produced on PCs with Microsoft Word html layout tools. It is a revised and expanded version of the 2007 CD-Rom, with tons of extras. The whole rom is static page layouts with hyperlinks in the manner of a website, and is best run at half the screen width of a modern widescreen monitor.
2. It has been tested with Firefox, Microsoft Explorer & Edge, Chrome and the free browser that is included. On many systems you may need to adjust settings for the audio and video elements to play. We are told that it also functions fine on Apple computers and other devices. Again, you may need to adjust settings (including adding the wmv codec) for audio/video elements to work correctly. We cannot guarantee that all elements will run correctly on all systems. However, as the whole rom is basic html with no scripts or plug-ins it should work on almost anything that has an html browser.
3. image quality. All basic discography pictures are thumbnails of 200x200px. Expanded album views are 340x340px. Photo gallery images are at the best possible for a consistent layout. Press clip images are displayed at large readable resolution whenever possible. Image sizes are a trade-off between what we can legally use without infringing copyright and file size.
4. audio/video quality. The mp3s are at the lowest resolution (56kbps) that sounds fine on a computer system. Again, this is a trade-off, between what we could get permission for from artists/labels, and what wouldn't take up too much space. The videos are what were supplied to us by artists, or what we could get artists to agree to. Had we included all audio at full resolution and videos as large screen we would have well exceeded the capacity of a DVD and also created a download too large for many people to access/download/install.
5. price. This reflects 12 years extra work since the 2007 edition (which sold at £20), and an extra 1gb of data/images.etc. These days, such a wealth of knowledge at your fingertips is a bargain at £30*. (* online prices vary. The actual recommended retail of the DVD-Rom is £40).
6. To be able to use the zip download or zipped usb stick versions you need an unzipping tool. Windows comes with a zip tool, although you may find programs such as winrar or 7zip work much faster. Similar tools are available for mac/Apple systems. Some mobile/cell/tablet systems may not support zip files and will need to be extracted on a computer system before installing.
The additional images shown here are 4 example screenshots.
A Fistful Of Spaghetti - book funding campaign
The Crack In The Cosmic Egg (rom download, update 2)
The Crack In The Cosmic Egg (DVD-rom)
The Crack In The Cosmic Egg (on USB stick)
Audion 58 (magazine)
Audion 53 (magazine)
Audion 51 (magazine)
Audion 49 (magazine)
Audion 47 (magazine)
Audion 46 (magazine)
Audion 45 (magazine)
Audion 43 (magazine)
Audion 42 (magazine)
Audion 41 (magazine)
Audion 40 (magazine)
Audion 39 (magazine)
Audion 38 (magazine)
Audion 37 (magazine)
Audion 35 (magazine)
Audion 34 (magazine)
Audion 33 (magazine)
Audion 31 (magazine)
Audion 30 (magazine)
Audion 29 (magazine)
Audion 27 (magazine)
Audion 26 (magazine)
Audion 25 (magazine)
Audion 24 (magazine)
Audion 22 (magazine)
Audion 21 (magazine)
Audion 20 (magazine)
Audion 19 (magazine)
Audion Leicester, UK
Audion Magazine (established 1986) has a reputation for its different stance on modern music, ever willing to embrace the
unusual, and seek-out those that have helped shape the face of new-music, from rock/folk/jazz to the avant-garde. Audion doesn't adhere to trends or fashion, it exists purely for the love of the music.
Download magazine version requires Adobe Reader or compatible device app.
Streaming and Download help